Last week was pretty scary for Mitch and I. We brought Benny to the photography studio at my school and he ate two 200 mg tablets of Advil. Now Benny comes to school with me quite frequently on nights and weekends when I have big projects to complete. He has never gotten into anything that he isn’t supposed to eat until now. You might be thinking why there even was medication on the floor of a photography studio and I have to ask myself the same question. Well, as it turns out the week before someone was using pills in their photos and didn’t bother to clean up after themselves afterwards. Luckily, he only ate two pills and we were able to pick the rest up off the ground before he could do any further damage.
I was naive and didn’t realize Advil could be so detrimental to my dog, so I didn’t take any action after he ingested the pills. I feel so stupid to have let something this big slip my mind but I was caught up in my project and brushed it off. After all, Benny has eaten some pretty gross things and I was beginning to think he could survive anything. I was so wrong. That night I woke up at 1 am to Benny throwing up in my bedroom. He proceeded to throw up almost 10 times that night and the next morning. Things only went downhill from there. I called my vet, who referred me to animal control, who I never called because they charge $100 just to get on the phone with them. Mitch called his Aunt who is a large and small animal veterinarian and sought out advice from her. At this point, all the damage had been done and all we could do is get him to stop throwing up. From Thursday to Tuesday he threw up all the food, medication, and water we tried to give him. He was extremely weak.
We called Mitch’s Aunt again and she agreed we had tried everything there was and it was time to bring him to an animal hospital. The veterinarians there were so helpful and straightforward with us. We did a multitude of tests while we were there and the blood results were not good. There were about a dozen of levels that were either too high or low. The biggest ones were that his glucose level was very high, his creatine levels suggested kidney damage, Blood Urea Nitrogen suggested his kidneys weren’t functioning properly. All of these are very scary things. Tomorrow we are taking him back for more blood analysis and I’m crossing my toes his insides are feeling better. I will post the results tomorrow!
4/11/16- The results were not what I’d hoped they would be. Although Benny was feeling much better, his kidneys have been permanently damaged. Both his creatine and BUN were both slightly elevated and it was clear some major damage had been done. It pains me to say this but Benny has developed long-term chronic kidney failure.
What’s going to happen now? Fortunately, kidney failure is fairly common in dog and cats; about 1 in 100 dogs will develop kidney failure, usually later in their life. Benny is only four years old and research shows he will live for at least seven more years. He will also need to be on medication and a special low-protein diet. In addition to a lifestyle change, he may experience discomfort in his remaining years. Dogs with kidney failure can have increased urination, weight loss, vomiting, and lethargy. However, he is alive and happy and I feel like I have to look at the positive in this tough situation.
I am thinking of making a video once I do more research and find out more about this disease. If you love your dog as much as I do, you will know that this misfortune makes me so depressed. I have cried about this for the last couple of days and it was really hard for me to write this. I’ve been putting off posting this for a few days. Nevertheless, I’ve come to accept that this happened and life has to go on now.
Thank you so much for reading ♥